Health.com and SHAPE.com are seeking a full-time, staff writer to author 3-4 daily stories and features across both brands.
This position is based in NYC and the typical hours are 9am-6pm EST. We typically do not do breaking news after hours, though there are occasional exceptions.
The ideal candidate has 2+ years of news writing experience. They must be deadline oriented and adhere to each brand’s reporting and style standards. We’re very strict about where and how we source our content. This writer will toggle between dissecting medical research and the latest celebrity trend, so they must be able to distill complicated information for a mass audience in an approachable tone.
The role will entail a mix of pitching ideas and being assigned stories, depending on the day. Be prepared to write about topics as vast and hard-hitting as Ronda Rousey’s broken finger to the more serious developments in COVID-19.
Roles & Responsibilities include:
- Pitching and writing 2-4 newsy stories per day in the health, wellness and lifestyle spaces
- Occasional feature writing
- Scouring local news outlets, social media, and Google Trends for the next idea worth jumping on
- Working closely with Health and SHAPE deputy and senior editors
- Conducting original interviews and research
- Staying up to date on the competitive landscape
Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements
- 2+ years of writing experience, ideally with quick lead times
- Must be familiar with Google Trends and SEO, plus social listening tools such as CrowdTangle
- Proven track record of creating reputable, trustworthy content
- A strategic thinker who considers traffic and social analytics when making an editorial decision
- Passion and enthusiasm for health and wellness content and the service it can provide
Essential Job Functions
Interview experts, report, and write 1-2 timely news stories daily, 3-4 evergreen stories weekly
Monitor and pitch trending health news daily
Assist with social media content development
Write supporting article copy to help promote video content
Apply here once you've signed in for an account with Meredith.