Noah Shachtman, Editor in Chief of Rolling Stone Posted
"@RollingStone is hiring a new research chief to help track down hard-to-find sources, sift through documents and fact-check stories for our print and digital editions.
This is a dream gig for right person. Apply here:"
Rolling Stone seeks an experienced and resourceful Research Chief to join their team. The Research Chief will be responsible for overseeing a team of three research editors, who are responsible for tracking down hard-to-find sources, sifting through documents, and researching and fact-checking stories for our print and digital platforms. The research department also provides support to writers on the front end of stories as well as back-end fact-checking and helps translates raw research into actionable items for reporters and editors. The Research Chief must have demonstrated experience working on large, multi-sourced, and legally sensitive features under tight deadlines.
In addition, the candidate must have experience managing a small team, impeccable judgment, and a genuine interest in and understanding of a wide variety of subjects within politics, culture, science, and hard news.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Have 5 years of experience doing proactive research and fact-checking at a major digital, print, or television news operation.
- Be passionate, curious, and informed about and well informed in culture, science and politics.
- Have the proven ability to obtain on deadline public documents—from federal, state, and local court filings to campaign records to financial transactions.
- Have a track record of successfully using the latest digital forensics techniques to stand up stories and track down people.
- Be familiar with federal and local freedom-of-information laws, as well as with LexisNexis, and PACER, Spokeo, and other databases.
- Be familiar with libel law and defamation and have experience working with legal teams on legally and editorially sensitive material.
- Be confident interpreting legal documents, scientific studies, financial paperwork, and public records.
- Be able to pay close attention to the details of a story, while also having the ability to zoom out and assess the backbone of an entire piece.
- Be able to communicate with sources in a sensitive and thoughtful way.
- Feel comfortable in a fast-paced environment—both print and digital—and be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Brainstorm best practices for tracking down hard-to-find people and facts
- Be able to take initiative, receive constructive feedback, and work with minimal supervision
It’s all About You…
At PMC, your wellness is top of mind. Rolling Stone offer a comprehensive benefits package to nurture you and your loved ones, including pets! Rolling Stone package includes Healthcare (medical, dental, and vision) HSA with an employer contribution, FSA (Healthcare, Dependent Care & Commuter), EAP, Life Insurance, 401K with an employer match, Paid Parental Leave, Long-term Disability, generous Paid Time off (PTO), Pet Insurance, and Home & Auto insurance. Rolling Stone Wellness initiatives rotate yoga, meditation, wellness weeks on a variety of topics, and financial wellness. Rolling Stone continuously elevate our offerings with more, for you.
About Rolling Stone:
Rolling Stone, the number one brand in music publishing, has been the leading voice of music and popular culture for 50 years. The multi-media brand features the latest in music reviews, in-depth interviews, hard-hitting political commentary and award-winning journalism across many platforms including magazine, digital, mobile, social and event marketing. Rolling Stone provides “all the news that fits” to a global audience of approximately 60 million people every month and publishes over 100 pieces of content every day.
PMC is a leading independent global media and information services company whose award-winning content attracts a passionate monthly audience of more than 310 million. Since 2004, Penske Media has been a pioneer in digital media and a platform innovator, reaching viewers on all screens across its ever-growing constellation of iconic brands, which includes Deadline, Variety, Rolling Stone, Billboard, The Hollywood Reporter, VIBE, WWD, SHE Media, Robb Report, Sportico, TVLine, BGR, ARTnews, Art in America, Fairchild Media, and Spy.com, among many others. PMC’s journalists and content creators deliver daily the most comprehensive news and information in their industries and areas of coverage, unequaled in ambition, depth and courage. Headquartered in New York and Los Angeles with additional offices in 14 countries worldwide, PMC believes companies should not only be profitable but also forces for good. To learn more about PMC, our 2% Foundation, and our portfolio of brands, please visit www.PMC.com