The New Yorker is Seeking a New Story Editor
The New Yorker is Looking for a Talented Editor to Work Across a Range of Genres and Subjects for its Web Site and Magazine
The New Yorker is a multi-platform media enterprise, spanning print, digital, audio, video, and live events. Founded in 1925, The New Yorker is considered by many to be the most influential magazine in the world, renowned for its in-depth reporting, political and cultural commentary, fiction, poetry, humor, and cartoons. In addition to the weekly print magazine, The New Yorker has become a daily digital destination for news and cultural coverage by its staff writers and other contributors. In print and online, The New Yorker stands apart for its commitment to truth and accuracy, for the quality of its prose, and its insistence on exciting and moving every reader.
The New Yorker is seeking a talented editor to work across a range of genres and subjects for its Web site and magazine. This is a guild position.
- Assign and edit a mix of reporting, commentary, essays, and criticism by staff and contributing writers, as well as other contributors.
- Generate ideas for stories, recurring features, and lines of coverage; exercise creativity, strong editorial judgment, and taste in assignments.
- Maintain New Yorker standards at all times in editing for rigor, accuracy, and fairness.
- Work collaboratively and effectively with members of the staff, across all departments, to insure the publication of editorial content on schedule.
- Manage a stable of staff and contributing writers, including helping to insure those writers are meeting contracts and fulfilling other work expectations.
- Seek out new writers who might become regular contributors to The New Yorker.
- Additional duties as required, or as assigned by manager.
Skills and Qualifications:
- At least three years of experience as a reporter/writer or editor.
- Comfortable engaging with a wide range of subjects, from politics to pop culture, from biology to technology.
- Exceptional editorial judgment and line-editing skills; able to work collaboratively with some of the finest writers in journalism.
- A readiness to work in a fast-moving digital media ecosystem and to juggle multiple pieces and tasks.
- Thoughtful about the media landscape and how The New Yorker fits into it.
- Familiarity with The New Yorker’s signature mix of storytelling and analysis.
- Willingness to work some weekends, evenings, early mornings, and holidays, according to the demands of the news cycle.
What happens next?
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply below, and The New Yorker will review your application as soon as possible. You can update your resume or upload a cover letter at any time by accessing your candidate profile.