The Week US is Looking For a Deputy Editor To Join The News Site for One Year
TheWeek.com is looking for a deputy editor to join the fast-growing, award-winning news site for one year. This is a full-time, temporary, fixed-term position that will run from January 2022 through December 2022. Opportunities for a permanent role will be considered toward the end of the term but are NOT guaranteed.
The deputy editor is the second-in-command in our newsroom, primarily tasked with commissioning and editing opinion pieces and email newsletters but also involved in general team management in cooperation with the other deputy editor and the editor-in-chief.
The ideal candidate is reliable, trustworthy, clever, diplomatic, and meticulous.
This is an excellent opportunity for a creative self-starter eager to join one of the sharpest and hardest-working teams in our industry.
What I need to succeed:
- familiarity with digital publishing and content management systems
- impeccable grammar, humor, and a great attitude
- up-to-date knowledge of the political conversation in America, plus a diverse and serious personal news consumption habit
- a sincere willingness to hone arguments from across the political spectrum, including perspectives with which the editor may deeply disagree
- knowledge of AP style and quick adaptation to house style
- editorial experience is preferred, but candidates with less experience may be considered, pending an edit test intended to take two hours or less
What you will get in return?
As well as the standard benefits, they have a number of awesome perks available to the staff including:
- Unlimited paid time off (yes you read that right!)
- A share in our success - every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
- Free food (monthly munchies, bagel Fridays, fresh fruit & snacks and coffee and tea on tap)
- Central office locations with cool open plan working spaces
- Free digital magazine subscriptions and access to back copies of our print magazines and bookazines
- Discounted gym membership and onsite health & wellbeing (yoga at lunch anyone?!)
- Annual Future conference - get together with your colleagues to celebrate success and look forward to what's next
- Regular staff socials arranged by our wonderful Employee Community & Culture committees
- Huge opportunities to learn and develop whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues