WIRED Has New Openings in Editorial Positions. Check Them Out!
WIRED is Looking For Editors
The Research Editor is a member of the vital team that ensures the high quality and accuracy of WIRED’s award-winning reporting. Reporting to the Research Director, this editor will be responsible for verifying the accuracy of both print and digital content on WIRED stories across a wide range of topics.
- Fact-check editorial content for print, digital, and special projects to identify mistakes and find solutions
- Collaborate with editors, writers, and copy editors to ensure accuracy while also maintaining brand voice
- Assist the Research Director with trafficking and assigning feature stories and managing freelance researchers
- Help to maintain department archives and update style sheets
- Proofread for accuracy in each step of edit flow, from the manuscript to the final proofs of the print magazine or go-live date for digital stories.
- Maintain detailed files with correspondence, sourcing, and changes for each assignment
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- College graduate with at least two years’ fact checking/reporting experience
- Proficiency in juggling multiple assignments on tight deadlines, while still maintaining highest level of accuracy
- Should be detail-oriented, able to work well under pressure, and adhere to tight deadlines
- Excellent reporting, writing, and editing skills
- Ability to be diplomatic, confident, proactive and collaborative (and good natured!), when working with writers and editors — to not only identify mistakes, but to offer solutions too
- Reporting instinct to question everything you read, and to know the best primary and secondary sources to find those answers
- Near obsessive attention to detail
- Proficiency in InCopy and Nexus, among other programs
Senior Editor Security
WIRED is seeking an experienced editor to oversee our security desk. In this role, you’ll manage a team of veteran cybersecurity and policy journalists to break news, provide timely analysis, and produce longer-lead reports and investigations.
Our security desk covers a wide range of traditional cybersecurity issues, such as ransomware, data breaches, and nation-state hacking. But it also encompasses adjacent topics, including privacy, surveillance, adtech, Big Tech regulation, and the geopolitical ramifications of all these things. We’re looking for someone capable of guiding coverage for all of the above. While a solid technical understanding of this space is required, you more importantly should be able to place these stories in proper context, with a relentless focus on framing complex issues and incidents in a way that helps readers understand their broader significance.
WIRED is looking for someone with keen interest in how cybersecurity, surveillance, and privacy inform nearly every aspect of life online—and increasingly in the physical world as well. You should have a good eye for surprising angles on stories and a knack for spotting the bigger implications of small developments; you should also be a sharp line editor, good at structuring an argument, cutting superfluous material, and eliminating jargon. You’ll work with writers in both the US and UK, managing time zones and resources to prioritize coverage.
This role can be based in WIRED’s New York or San Francisco office, or remote in the US. It reports to WIRED’s Executive Editor, News.
- Work with the Executive Editor, News to plan and execute WIRED’s security coverage
- Assign, oversee, and edit stories from staff and freelance writers
- Work closely with WIRED’s art, production, research, copy editing, and social teams
Skills and Qualifications:
- 4+ years of digital editorial experience, with a strong focus on cybersecurity
- Experience managing a large group of internal and external writers
- Experience with and a curiosity about stories that explain how security, privacy, and tech regulation impact all of our lives in big and small ways
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially with a team of fact checkers, copy editors, designers, photo editors, digital producers, social media producers, and other story editors
- Facility with headlines, subheads, captions, and other elements of story building and promotion
- A clear, engaging, jargon-free writing and editing style
Read More About WIRED On The Stylists Suite Page. Click Here.
WIRED is Hiring A Product Writer and Reviewer
The Black Brit Who Saved The World Covers The June Issue Of WIRED
Yahya Adbul-Mateen II Covers WIRED Magazine's December Issue
Leave a comment