WIRED is Looking an Experienced Editor to Oversee Security Desk
In this role, you’ll manage a team of veteran cybersecurity and policy journalists to break news, provide timely analysis, and produce longer-lead reports and investigations.
The security desk covers a wide range of traditional cybersecurity issues, such as ransomware, data breaches, and nation-state hacking. But it also encompasses adjacent topics, including privacy, surveillance, adtech, Big Tech regulation, and the geopolitical ramifications of all these things. They’re looking for someone capable of guiding coverage for all of the above. While a solid technical understanding of this space is required, you more importantly should be able to place these stories in proper context, with a relentless focus on framing complex issues and incidents in a way that helps readers understand their broader significance.
They’re looking for someone with keen interest in how cybersecurity, surveillance, and privacy inform nearly every aspect of life online—and increasingly in the physical world as well. You should have a good eye for surprising angles on stories and a knack for spotting the bigger implications of small developments; you should also be a sharp line editor, good at structuring an argument, cutting superfluous material, and eliminating jargon. You’ll work with writers in both the US and UK, managing time zones and resources to prioritize coverage.
This role can be based in WIRED’s New York or San Francisco office, or remote in the US. It reports to WIRED’s Executive Editor, News.
- Work with the Executive Editor, News to plan and execute WIRED’s security coverage
- Assign, oversee, and edit stories from staff and freelance writers
- Work closely with WIRED’s art, production, research, copy editing, and social teams
Skills and Qualifications:
- 4+ years of digital editorial experience, with a strong focus on cybersecurity
- Experience managing a large group of internal and external writers
- Experience with and a curiosity about stories that explain how security, privacy, and tech regulation impact all of our lives in big and small ways
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially with a team of fact checkers, copy editors, designers, photo editors, digital producers, social media producers, and other story editors
- Facility with headlines, subheads, captions, and other elements of story building and promotion
- A clear, engaging, jargon-free writing and editing style