Introducing The New Senior Tech Editor of Business Insider, Monica Melton
Melton will help run Insider’s growing Big Tech news team, which covers the world’s most powerful companies, entrepreneurs and technologies.
She previously served as the managing editor of The Plug Insights, and covered innovation, technology, and venture capital at Forbes. She has also covered politics at Politico, and entertainment for Time Out New York.
Email Monica Melton at email@example.com
"🧵The Big Tech team @BusinessInsider is hiring for an Alphabet Reporter, an Apple Reporter, and a Tech Editor for our coverage of some of the world's largest companies. Business Insider is fully remote and the salary for these roles ranges from $80,000 to $130,000. More 👇🏾"
Insider is Looking For A Full-Time Reporter To Cover Alphabet
The Big Tech team closely covers the companies and entrepreneurs that are changing the world and holds them accountable. They're seeking an aggressive, creative reporter to break news and write with authority on Alphabet's businesses and technology, with a particular focus on YouTube. Examples of great work include: "YouTube set to surpass Netflix as 'king of streaming' based on this key metric" and "YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki built a $1 trillion video empire by skirting scrutiny and not acting like Facebook. But insiders say a reckoning is coming as the division soars to new heights."
The ideal reporter will embrace this complex and challenging beat with passion, a deep rolodex of industry contacts, and an intimate knowledge of the sector. Rather than follow the news, you aspire to drive change through stories that question assumptions, uncover wrongdoing and spur regulators and lawmakers into action.
You’re versatile enough to react quickly and write clearly, while still pursuing scoops, ambitious features and impactful investigations. You are a team player who is excited about working in an inclusive environment and getting better every day. This particular role will require close collaboration with Insider's existing Alphabet reporter in the US.
The ideal candidate:
- Partners with Big Tech reporters and editors, and other colleagues on the social media and entertainment teams.
- Has the highest journalistic ethics
- Demonstrates sound news judgment
- Shows a willingness to learn and adjust as beats and reader demands evolve
- Has a strong knowledge of and interest in the industry
- Has a track record of breaking news and a portfolio of features
- Nails ability to write quickly and concisely under time pressure
Business Insider is looking For Full-Time Apple Reporter
Business Insider is looking for a full-time reporter to deliver scoops on consumer hardware, technology supply chains, and the world’s most powerful company in both fields: Apple.
The Big Tech team closely covers the companies and entrepreneurs that are changing the world and holds them accountable. They're seeking an aggressive, creative reporter to cover Apple, the world’s most valuable technology company. This includes breaking news, exclusives and longer-term features and investigations.
Apple is a sprawling company and there are many ways to cover the beat, from its growing media business to nascent advertising platform to sectors like health tech and augmented reality. The ideal reporter will be passionate and curious enough to explore all of these.
- Apple’s supply chain, factories and labor standards
- Its relationship with China as globalization begins to slow or reverse
- The company’s privacy pitch and whether its actions match the claims
- Big Tech antitrust scrutiny, consumer lock-in and data portability
- The App Store and tension with the developer community
- The Apple car project and what else comes after the iPhone
- Apple services, including advertising and health technology
- Succession — who will replace Tim Cook?
The ideal candidate is an agile reporter with a deep rolodex of tech industry contacts and an intimate knowledge of the sector and its most important companies, products and innovations. Rather than follow the news, you aspire to drive change through stories that question assumptions, uncover wrongdoing and spur regulators and lawmakers into action.
This reporter is versatile enough to react quickly and write clearly on breaking news, while still pursuing scoops, ambitious features and impactful investigations. They will be a team player who can adapt to a fast-changing news cycle.
Please note this reporter will not be expected to review Apple products, but will instead focus on what’s going on inside the company, including how its product strategy is being planned to drive growth.
The candidate should be someone who is open to feedback and wants to get better every day. Some other skills that would make a candidate successful in this role:
- Collaborate with Big Tech reporters and editors and other colleagues
- The highest journalistic ethics
- Sound news judgment
- A willingness to learn and adjust as beats and reader demands evolve
- Strong knowledge of and interest in the industry
- A track record of breaking news and a portfolio of features
- The ability to write quickly and concisely under time pressure
Insider Inc is Hiring an Editor to Work on the Big Tech Companies Team
They are seeking diverse, experienced, and passionate candidates who can further our mission:
- Edit and strategize on agenda-setting, impactful stories about the most powerful and interesting technology companies, including Amazon, Alphabet, Facebook, Apple, Uber, and Palantir.
- Assist a growing team of reporters breaking news on important new technologies with tough and open minds in clear, understandable prose.
- Create ties with the entrepreneurs and engineers who are leading their fields and exploring, or breaking new boundaries.
This person must be able to motivate a team of reporters with sharp story assignments, edits and coaching. They need to be enthusiastic and strategic about advancing and owning major Big Tech stories.
Tech knowledge is a plus, but experience editing and managing a growing team of reporters is what we're really looking for. If you're eager to branch out into this exciting industry, this is the job for you.
The tech editor will bring great communication and listening skills. This person is flexible and able to adapt quickly in a fast-paced newsroom. They are a team player who is excited about working in an inclusive, fun environment.
This is a remote role, however Insider does have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and New York.
The ideal candidate will also:
- Be comfortable editing scoops, exclusive features, and ambitious investigative projects in a timely manner.
- Have excellent news judgment to decide quickly on coverage priorities.
- Be frank and polite about feedback to help reporters grow, while always being quick to reward great work.
- Have experience developing newer reporters, while inspiring star journalists to stretch themselves.
- Value diversity, equity, and inclusion in hiring, story assignments, and sourcing.
- Be well-versed in beat reporting and able to coach reporters on sourcing tactics that help them break into major companies.
- Advise and encourage reporters to generate consistent original reporting that other publications need to chase and executives need to read.
- Be a team player who actively collaborates with Insider’s other reporting teams to elevate all of our tech coverage.
Are you passionate about this opportunity, but worried that you don’t have 100% of the experience we’re looking for? We still want to hear from you! Apply online and let us know why you would make a great addition to the Insider community.
Visit The Stylists Suite Page For More Job Opportunities