Cosmopolitan Seeking Current Events-Obsessed Senior Editor, News Analysis and Opinion
Cosmopolitan is looking for a current events-obsessed Senior Editor, News Analysis and Opinion to publish timely response pieces online. In this position, you’ll oversee and execute digital features and featurettes, connecting with sources and sleuthing out scoops to deliver groundbreaking storytelling with angles that surprise, challenge, and resonate with Cosmo readers. You’ll also have the opportunity to work with renowned authors, politicians, celebrities, and other VIPs on personal essays and op-eds that make waves across the internet. You’ll assign and edit or report and write across a range of topics, from hilariously irreverent pop culture rants to nuanced criticisms on public policy.
The ideal candidate is someone who speaks internet fluently, can anticipate the trajectory of a conversation as it’s heating up—from what happened on the Senate floor last night to what happened on The Bachelor—and understands how Cosmo can best contribute to the moment and advance the dialogue. Your work has two primary (and equally ambitious!) goals: Attract a large audience and garner prestige for the brand. In addition to being a thoughtful and enterprising self-starter, you should feel comfortable making nimble editorial decisions that are informed by data using tools such as Google Analytics or Google Trends, have a robust network of contacts (and fearlessness/creativity about finding new ones), and a track record of being part of the conversation online.
This role will report to the executive digital editor and collaborate across both the news and features teams.
Please note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter and a link to clips.
What You'll Do
- Report and write buzzy features and featurettes for Cosmopolitan.com
- Pitch, assign, and edit fresh opinion pieces and timely personal essays for Cosmopolitan.com, working with a stable of freelancers to cover a wide range of zeitgeisty topics, including politics, pop culture, and lifestyle
- Cultivate digital columnists, with the aim of making Cosmo a destination for smart commentary on the news
- Turn around copy quickly, editing for both clarity and—where appropriate—humor, and writing attention-grabbing, voice-y headlines
- Attend weekly meetings with Cosmo’s news and pop culture team, brainstorming ways to cover tentpole moments (e.g. the presidential election, the latest red-carpet event) from a second-day news perspective
- Collaborate with Cosmo’s features team, ideating stories to complement the magazine’s well feature online
Who You Are:
- A sharp editor with at least 5 years of reporting experience who has cultivated relationships with writers of different backgrounds and strengths across beats
- A natural leader with impeccable news judgment, who can intuit the line between a boundary-pushing read and a bad take
- You understand that Cosmo readers want both fizzy fun reads and complex commentary on pressing social issues, and you can seamlessly move between both realms
- A voracious consumer of features and op-ed content who is always keeping an eye out for juicy stories, exciting new voices, and under-represented points of view
Visit The Stylists Suite Page To Read More About Cosmopolitan