Clara Jeffery, Mother Jones' Editor in Chief Posted
"Going to be posting some job opportunities over the next few days. First up is a climate/enviro justice reporter position. Past @motherjones climate reporters include: @rebleber @kate_sheppard @bradplumer @juliawhitty..."
Climate change touches every Mother Jones beat. It’s a national security threat. It’s a helluva technological challenge. It’s a hot mess of partisanship. It amplifies inequalities here and abroad, while enriching the kinds of power brokers, grifters, and spin merchants we’ve always pursued.
Mother Jones is looking for a climate reporter who can translate this complex story into solid reporting that unearths wrongdoing, holds leaders to account, and explores the lives and challenges of those most affected. At the core of this beat is environmental justice.
This role will also be shaped by your unique passions. You might be an energy wonk, or obsessed with urban planning, transit, utilities, or maddening state regulations. You might be a reporter drawn to “follow the money” exposés, chasing how big-dollar interests continue to rationalize the status quo by rewriting basic science and spreading disinformation. And it’s not all grim: There are good news stories about progress and innovation. Maybe you’re especially attuned to the climate crusaders disrupting the status quo, or the grassroots efforts to make communities more resilient.
Whatever your vision for this position, you’re well-sourced with a range of expert changemakers, from activists and scientists to climate entrepreneurs. And you’re eager to experiment with newsletters, social media, and being on camera or behind a mic. Most of all, you want to own this beat by combining rigorous reporting with an engaging, no-nonsense style—and the ability to craft compelling stories that are impossible to put down.
- Pitching, reporting, and writing climate stories (which might include features, investigations, profiles, and breaking news) for the magazine, website, and other Mother Jones platforms
- Monitoring the latest climate news and actively maintaining a network of sources to conceive of fresh and compelling ways to advance our understanding of the crisis
- Collaborating with editors and reporters (including multimedia producers) on a variety of assignments
- Adhering to the highest journalistic standards
- At least 4–5 years of experience reporting on this beat or related beats
- A deep and diverse network of expert sources
- Comfort with reporting in a variety of story formats, thoroughly, independently, and quickly
- Strong communication and organizational skills, and the ability and agility to meet deadlines and adapt to shifting editorial priorities when the news dictates
- Experience with WordPress and/or other digital publishing platforms
- Demonstrated ability to experiment with different reporting mediums is a plus, but not essential. Eagerness to try is.
- Collaborative, generous spirit
HOW TO APPLY
Only applications submitted via this application form will be considered.
What you’ll need for the application form:
- An updated resume
- A well-thought-out cover letter outlining why you are right for this job; how your specific vision for this role can make meaningful change; and how your skills can achieve that vision
- At least three examples of your own reporting that has moved the needle on this beat