Saeed Ahmed, Director of Digital News at NPR Posted:
"🚨Job alert🚨 (1/2)
Hey all. I'm hiring for a Supervising Editor for Audience and Social Platforms at @npr Basics:
▪️ You'll manage a team of social editors
▪️ The right candidate can be remote
▪️ MINIMUM for this position is $115K
RT and/or apply: https://bit.ly/3x0VJBP"
This is a high-priority hire. Apply if you're:
▪️ a pro at making stories stand out on social, search and aggregators
▪️ intrigued by the potential of new platforms
▪️ not afraid to roll up your sleeves and work
▪️ OK with some PMs and weekends
NPR is seeking an editor with experience in audience strategy to join the team. This position will supervise the team of journalists tasked with growing NPR's network presence across platforms.
This editor will sharpen the way NPR journalism stands out across platforms, bringing forward story ideas that stand out within social streams, atop search results, and among aggregators. The editor will use their audience-first mindset to help sharpen framing of stories. They should be comfortable with analytics and applying metrics to our strategies and tactics.
As the manager of the team, the Supervising Editor will dream up new and creative ways to engage with younger and more diverse audiences on NPR’s main social media accounts. They will promote the exploration of new platforms. They will develop best practices around sending push alerts and interacting with third party platforms like Apple News, Flipbook and Facebook’s News tab. They will not hesitate to roll up their sleeves and work side by side with their direct reports.
- Help develop a strategy for reaching new audiences on digital platforms including Facebook, Twitter, push alerts, Apple News, Facebook’s news tab and more.
- Drive implementation of NPR’s audience strategy across digital platforms.
- Mentor and coach team members to improve overall performance.
- Work with team members to conceive of and develop unique-to-social content to boost audience engagement with NPR.
- Identify priority content for digital platforms and coordinate with the team to ensure they are being highlighted.
- Program NPR’s social media accounts. Advise other team members on social media best practices.
- Follow trends on social media and search to suggest story ideas with an audience-centered framing, with a particular focus on stories that will engage a younger and more diverse audience.
- Help shape digital engagement plans for network projects and series.
- Analyze metrics to understand and better serve the digital audience.
- Write news alerts for breaking news and feature stories.
- Help brainstorm, edit and write headlines to resonate with audiences.
- Write and/or edit digital content as needed or desired.
- Manage team schedules to ensure consistent coverage.
- Supervise at least  direct reports, including preparing their regular performance reviews, and making effective recommendations regarding any hiring, promotion, and discipline for these positions.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, or writing-intensive discipline and/or equivalent work experience.
WORK LOCATION: This is a remote or hybrid permitted role. Preferably based near one of NPR’s main offices in Washington, DC, New York or Los Angeles, though they may be flexible for the right candidate.
- At least 5-10 years of experience in a similar role in daily journalism.
- Ability and willingness to work various shifts including evenings, and potentially weekends, early mornings, and/or holidays.
- Demonstrated strong editorial judgment, news writing, editing, and headline writing.
- Proven expertise engaging audiences on social media channels, including Facebook and Twitter.
- Knowledge of Associated Press style.
- Understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
- Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent time frames and changing priorities/conditions.
- Familiarity with Chartbeat, Google Analytics and other sources of engagement data.
- Cultivate and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
The minimum annualized salary for this position is $115,000.
Visit The Stylists Suite Page For More Job Opportunities