NYLON Looking for Fashion Editor to be the Strategic and Creative Lead of Site's Fashion Vertical
The Fashion Editor will work closely with the Editor in Chief and Fashion Director to shape the site's fashion coverage, and will be responsible for assigning, editing, and writing articles that appeal to NYLON’s audience via search and social platforms.
The fashion editor will manage the day-to-day operations of NYLON's fashion vertical. The editor should have a vast knowledge of the fashion industry and how it intersects with the entertainment industry and pop culture, from YouTubers and TikTok trends, to fashion collaborations and prominent celebrity stylists.
Additionally, the Fashion Editor will make sure that NYLON's aesthetic is consistent within its fashion coverage, and find unique, on-brand ways to cover broader industry issues readers are passionate about, like sustainability, diversity, and inclusivity. Ideal candidates will show a natural sense of urgency, strong news judgment, polished editing skills, and an eye for developing young talent.
The Fashion Editor is responsible for leading a team of writers to produce fashion articles that are authoritative, well-sourced, and comprehensive. The editor should be well-versed in search and social traffic strategies and have a knack for pushing stories forward with original reporting and thoughtful angles.
An interest in and experience with securing exclusive interviews; networking, nurturing and maintaining strong fashion industry contacts; and a desire to produce creative and impactful content is a must. NYLON’s fashion coverage is inclusive, informative, and cutting edge.
- Edit or write three fashion stories a day, managing a team of part-time writers and freelancers (a mix of breaking news, service, and in-depth profiles/Q&As and reported features)
- Attend relevant market appointments and events, with an eye for on-site or social coverage opportunities
- Collaborate on NYLON's fashion coverage for awards season and fashion weeks, planning and preparing far in advance for these tentpole events
- Use analytics tools to monitor performance, and adjust strategy accordingly
- Work closely with team members on ideation, site direction, and content package execution
- Be ahead of the curve in all areas of the fashion space, from TikTok aesthetic trends to emerging fashion and accessories brands
- Keep a close eye on developing internet trends and viral moments
- Must be familiar with the NYLON sensibility, as well as the brand voice and visual identity
- 3-5 years fashion editing or writing experience in (ideally) digital media
- Familiarity with best practices for search and social
- Ability to write and edit fast, without compromising brand integrity or mission
- Contacts in the fashion industry
- Comfort networking and attending events on behalf of the brand
- A sense of fun, urgency, and a can-do attitude
- Ability to forecast fashion trends and cover them before they hit the mainstream
- A strong news sense and ability to identify which trending stories should be covered daily on the site
- Strong display of writing and story packaging skills
Visit The Stylists Suite Page To Read More About NYLON