This position will be responsible for publishing 3–5 pieces of content per week including exercise and fitness explainers, celebrity pieces, workouts, news, service, and cultural and trend-based commentary. This will be a mix of quick hits, deeper reported pieces, and SEO additions or updates.
SELF is looking for a writer who is excited to create and solicit stories about fitness at the intersection of many other categories, like health, culture, nutrition, body image, accessibility, sports, and more. You should have a robust background writing about these topics in a complex, nuanced, voicey way, plus a rich list of qualified experts in these spaces to reach out to—or a solid idea of how to find them. You should have excellent fact-checking skills, scientific literacy, and a deep understanding of what evidence and sourcing are necessary for accurate and fair coverage. You should be able to make fitness content feel relevant and timely—without relying on fat-shaming and culturally appropriative trends. You pay close attention to the conversations about fitness and wellness that are happening in media, online, and IRL, and have thoughts and opinions about how to add value, information, compassion, representation, inclusivity, and cultural competence to those conversations.
As a writer, you’re comfortable handling multiple stories at once, all at various stages of the writing process (planning the outline for one, scheduling interviews for another, reporting one, working on edits for another). You’re comfortable reaching out to sources at major organizations and interviewing people at the tops of their fields (whether academic experts, pro athletes, or celebrities), but you also know when you need to take a step back and dig into the research.
SELF is wellness you can trust. They're mission is to help people live healthier lives, whatever that looks like to them. They do that through focusing on four key brand values: inclusivity, accuracy, empathy, and autonomy. And they’re looking for people who share that vision when it comes to creating fitness and food content.
- Pitch and write (or update) 3–5 articles per week, focusing on fitness.
- Follow the news and cultural conversations in the fitness space to pitch and turn around timely stories quickly, reaching out to experts for quick comment when necessary.
- Fact-check and edit content before turning it in to the top editor and/or research team.
- Seek out interesting, diverse voices to write about fitness in a timely, relevant, and voicey way.
- Package content in an engaging way to appeal to new and loyal readers across platforms.
- Work with design, video, and social teams to brainstorm ideas for visuals and social promotion for these stories.
- Contribute writing and brainstorming for larger SELF initiatives as the need arises.
- Attend industry events on an as-needed basis.
- Write or contribute to newsletters as needed.
- 3+ years of relevant writing experience, specifically reporting on fitness or wellness topics
- A background in service journalism, ideally as it relates to fitness
- Scientific literacy and deep understanding of reporting and sourcing best practices
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and ability to use these organically in your copy
- Experience finding sources and interviewing them on deadline
- Ability to write and edit clear, clean copy in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to pitch endless story ideas that are timely, shareable, thought-provoking, and as clicky as they are editorially sound
- Strong understanding of—and experience participating in—the digital fitness space; CPT or other relevant fitness certifications are a plus
Base Salary Range: $65,000 - $100,000
Visit The Stylists Suite Page For More Job Opportunities