The Cut Posted a New Position Opening for Senior Editor
"Come be my editor! Everyone in our team is awesome and hella smart. I'll probably regularly Slack you "my story is trash 911 pls help" but I'll also send you funny memes and videos of cute animals!"
We are hiring a Senior Editor to lead our Power team. You should be news-obsessed and deeply curious; tuned in and enthusiastic about social and political issues, big and small; and possess a keen appreciation for ambitious long form storytelling and an eye for fast breaking news. A sharp sense of humor is important, too. And above all, the ability to translate complex ideas into memorable features and packages—preferably someone dynamic, high-energy, and who loves challenges and starting conversations.
What you'll do:
- Manage a stable of staff writers and regular freelancers while bringing in new voices on both digital and print
- Coordinate and direct coverage of time-sensitive news events, and long-lead projects
- Pitch fresh ideas — from long form investigative features to podcast segments to op-eds — to the deputy editor and EIC on a daily basis
- Build and cultivate a network of collaborators and contacts within local and national politics, tech, nonprofits, and more
- Other responsibilities as assigned by your manager
What you'll bring:
- A minimum of 5-10 years of journalism experience, with a successful track record of editing and project-managing
- Enthusiasm for collaboration and working as a team
- Familiarity editing long form writing
- Strong understanding and passion for the editorial sensibility of The Cut
- Experience responding to breaking news
- Ability to work independently and as part of a larger team
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field, or commensurate experience
Read MORE on The Cut Opportunities;
Garner the entire editorial staff's email and social media accounts inside The Big Fat Media Guide. Order your copy here.
Read More about The Cut on the pages of The Stylists Suite.