Vanity Fair is Looking a Senior Editor of The Hive
Vanity Fair seeks a senior editor of The Hive, home to authoritative, real-time coverage of politics, tech, media, and business, and the intersection of them all. The ideal candidate will be a self-starting “player coach” who is well-connected in the field and can assign and edit stories as well as write and publish them, all on tight timelines. Applicants should be well-acquainted with Vanity Fair’s tradition of style reporting and a strong vision for how it translates to the Web. This position reports to the Hive’s executive editor and may entail management responsibilities.
- Lead the team’s daily charge—assigning, editing, and writing stories and work-shopping headlines, with an eye towards making VF.com the destination readers turn to for politics, tech, business and media coverage.
- Plan and execute multiplatform reported coverage of debates, election nights, and other relevant live moments.
- Develop a stable of top-notch, go-to writers for both print and digital that can contribute on both long-lead and short-lead deadlines
- Use traffic data and social-media feedback to optimize performance and maintain consistent growth
- Partner with other key departments including photo, video, social, PR, audience development, etc.
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- At least five years’ experience in a fast-paced, news-driven environment
- Ability to balance daily deadlines with longer-lead stories across platforms
- Experience managing a team and developing writers
- Experience using a CMS to publish a high volume of daily content
- Experience covering breaking news and/or current events on a digital platform
- Social media-savvy, and experience using social platforms to monitor conversations around major events
- Strong prioritization skills
- Experience overseeing content from brainstorm to deployment—approving ideas, sourcing art, scheduling posts, promotion on newsletters and social, etc.
- Strong writing skills with ability to contribute great ideas
- Fantastic collaborator and communicator
- Proven ability to use editorial feedback to improve work