Kainaz Amaria, Visuals Editor of Vox Media Posted
'Hey y'all - I'm hiring a Senior Photo Editor (Temporary, Full-time) - please, please APPLY!!!
The job description is pretty detailed, but my DMs are open should you have any questions.
This is a 5 month coverage role starting in mid-October.'
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Vox Media's portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
The Vox Visuals team is looking for a Full-Time Temporary, Senior Photo Editor. The Senior Photo Editor should have a strong foundation in the photographic language, sharp aesthetic, a keen sense of visual ethics, knowledge of contracts and copyright, excellent toning skills and the ability to communicate effectively with editors, writers and independent photographers.
The position is primarily responsible for selecting accurate images, captioning and story layout for Vox’s on-site and off-platform content. They will be working mostly with wire photographs, however, they are encouraged to pitch photo-driven stories and solicit independent pieces that align with Vox’s editorial strategy.
This person must have working knowledge of photo history and ethics, and have excellent visual communication skills. They can spot new talent and can find independent photographers in every corner of the world. They are phenomenal problem solvers and can work in a fast paced new environment. Communication and collaborative spirit is essential for this role.
This is a 5 month coverage role starting in mid-October. The position is open to remote work within the US.
The Senior Photo Editor will be responsible for:
- Manage the newsroom photo desk with the ability to balance both breaking news and features.
- Attend editorial meetings, picture edit and layout priority stories.
- Pitch, research, and create unique photo-driven stories.
- Oversee the editorial accuracy of images published on-site and off-platform — considering copyright, privacy, captions, image quality and proper licensing if applicable.
- Guide other reporters on image selection.
- Collaborate and communicate with reporters and editors to identify and execute the best visual solutions for our stories.
- Has at least 3+ years of photo editing in a newsroom or equivalent.
- Excellent news judgment and visual ethics.
- An ability to communicate and collaborate with journalists with a keen focus on serving the story.
- Proficient in Photoshop, toning images, Photo Mechanic (or an equivalent photo editing software)
- An understanding of when to hire photographers from different disciplines such as reportage, portraiture, lifestyle and conceptual photography.
- Ability to offer visual solutions on deadline.
- Accepts, resolves, and provides critiques gracefully.
- Champions the visual language with a collaborative spirit.
Is this you?
Please send a resume and a statement (250 words or less) about why you’d like to join Vox’s Visuals team. With your statement, please include a link to your portfolio and 2-3 recent stories you’ve edited and/or shaped and tell us what role you played in getting that story to publish.
*This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.