Whose Hiring Content Writers Like Me at the Magazines that I Read Every Day
Fast Company is hiring an energetic journalist to contribute to its award-winning Co.Design section. This is a daily reporting and writing job, using design as a lens onto the biggest business, culture, and technology stories of the day. If you are as intrigued by logo controversies as you are by how major companies are redesigning their products and supply chains to reduce environmental impact, this is a great job for you. The right candidate:
- Is comfortable writing everything from short, reported news posts to 1,500-word features
- Can meet daily deadlines and adapt to the demands of a fast-paced newsroom
- Generates sharp story ideas that are timely and creative, and that resonate with a broad audience
- Can juggle daily assignments with longer-term reporting projects
- Has an intellectual curiosity about design and wants to explore the ways it shapes the world around us
This is freelance contract position that pays $4,500 a month with the expectation of writing around five digital articles a week. Remote applicants are welcome. To apply, send your résumé, three to five story ideas, and a short note explaining why you’re interested in the job to Co.Design editor Suzanne LaBarre: suzannelabarre at gmail dotcom.
Bitch Media is looking for an Executive Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
Salary: $90,000-$95,000 annually
Location: Remote. Office in Portland, OR
Bitch is more than a media outlet—we’re a world-changing, movement-making, uncompromising, and diverse community. Currently, the majority of our staff are people of color, as well as women or non-cisgender-male identifying. The vast majority of contributors are women-identified, and about half of all our contributors in 2019 were people of color. By creating opportunities for women and people of color to gain vital experiences in media, we strive for a more diverse future for American journalism.
Who We Are Hiring:
The Executive Director (ED) bears responsibility for all executive, strategic, programmatic, financial, and management functions of Bitch Media. The Executive Director works closely with the board and staff on strategy, policy making, and organizational planning. We are a small team with active employees and the Executive Director will be Involved In daily decisions, fundraising, and strategy.
The Executive Director serves as a passionate, visionary leader for the organization whose primary charge is to uphold and articulate Bitch Media’s mission and vision to both internal and external audiences.
We strongly encourage people from marginalized communities to apply, particularly: people of color; immigrants; lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer people; and genderqueer, trans, and gender nonconforming people.
The responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to:
- Establishing strategic and programmatic direction for the organization.
- Execute a successful and diversified fundraising strategy to grow the organization with the participation supported by key staff and Board of Directors
- Strengthening Bitch Media’s leadership position in the feminist media movement.
- Providing effective management, guidance, and mentoring to empower a dedicated team of staff.
Skills to be Exhibited in Key Areas:
Strategic Planning and Vision: Actively lead the board of directors and staff in a strategic planning process inclusive of financial objectives, programmatic focus and aspirational goals.
Fundraising: Understanding the power of independence as a nonprofit, actively plan for and solicit donations from individuals, corporations and foundations. Work with staff to develop a case for support for subscribers and readers. Look beyond the standard donors to find opportunities for revenue growth and expansion that are effective, meaningful and implementable.
Management: Understanding of servant leadership and consensus building as tools to empower staff in making decisions, enacting decisions and being accountable to our readers, community and each other. Use the skills, talents and expertise of staff to build a healthy organization representative of our values. Fully understand the role of the executive director as leader, partner, supporter and implementor.
Innovation: Understanding and connections within the media community bring innovative strategies and opportunities to the organization. Build and maintain partnerships with media, feminists and social justice partners that enable our movement to grow. Be the public face of Bitch Media while highlighting the work and success of our community.
Communication: Understanding how to evaluate and best convey a consistent message across different audiences, e.g. donors, staff, readership. Clarity and confidence in all communication with a goal of building and maintaining trust in all relationships
- 5 - 7 years of experience working with media, social justice, activist, philanthropic, or political organizations
- 5+ years of demonstrated track-record of successful fundraising and donor development
- 5+ years of nonprofit financial and organizational management
- Demonstrated understanding of media landscape and climate
- Demonstrated ability to lead onsite as well as virtual/remote teams
- Commitment to working collaboratively with the Board of Directors
- Excellent oral and written communications as well as presentation skills
- Willingness to travel, as appropriate
Nonprofit Professionals Now is pleased to be working with Bitch Media on this key leadership position. Applications submitted to the online portal will be fully reviewed and considered. Applications will need to include a resume, cover letter and completion of screening questions.
Application Deadline: June 18, 2021. Apply Here.
The Editor,Travel Digital Media will ideate, develop, produce, and publish daily content to support cadence and audience targets of the Travel desk by managing the approval, assignment, and sequencing of articles. The Editor will collaborate across teams, including photography editors, social media, distribution and analytics to strengthen content and to support the digital editorial calendar. This role will support National Geographic’s goals of growing audience and engagement through powerful and revealing storytelling that speaks to the diversity of the world with an inclusive sensibility.
The ideal candidate is an experienced journalist, a strong writer/reporter, and a strong digital producer and editor. They'll have a focus on digital content, and can identify, assign, develop, edit and produce digital stories. They'll be able to write strong articles and grow our travel coverage as it intersects with topics of conservation, community, family, environment, history, and science.We're seeking a multi-tasker who can build great pages and bring strong ideas to the table. They'll be able to track content analytics, identify opportunities, and be able to explain these numbers. We're looking for a good communicator, strong ideator with a sense of newsworthy coverage, who speaks up in meetings and is able to represent the travel team in internal stakeholder meetings, with knowledge about the travel team’s needs and goals.
- Create and edit high-performing content for digital platforms. Ideate, develop, produce, and publish daily content to support cadence and strategy targets. Collaborate with a content-specific team of editors and producers in the production of daily stories.
- Monitor content schedules, deadlines and deliverables. Communicate project status across the group and to other teams. Consistently propose, pitch, and champion new articles, areas of coverage, and contributors to strengthen the overall output of the team.
- Audience development: work closely with the photo editors, social producers, and related teams to make data-informed decisions, grow our communities, strengthen brand loyalty, and maintain consistent voice across platforms.
- Monitor industry and competitive landscape and perform other duties as assigned. Provide digital expertise to the Executive Editor, Travel and other support as needed.
- In communication with the Executive Editor, support the Travel Desk’s editorial content strategy across digital platforms.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required.
- 4+ years of experience building and leading an online franchise, specialized training/experience related to specific franchise areas of responsibility.
- Proficiency in CMS and digital page production software, desktop publishing, Google and Adobe analytics, HTML, Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, and Excel preferred.
- Professional writing and editing skills. Strong leadership, highly organized; ability to manage resources and daily priorities; team player with diplomatic temperament and ability to foster a cooperative work environment; ability to manage multiple projects and consistently deliver quality work in a fast-paced environment; deep familiarity with and appreciation for the web and a passion for the franchise areas of responsibility.
Entrepreneur.com is looking for an assistant to join our Entrepreneur Leadership Network editorial team. The ideal candidate will be organized, energetic and able to quickly assess, edit and publish stories submitted by our network of nearly 1,000 members.
- Copy editing and publishing multiple stories on a daily basis
- Assisting staff editors and writers on special projects
- Helping customer support with onboarding new members
- Assessing new member applications
The ideal candidate:
- Can prioritize and execute independently
- Has relevant work or internship experience
- Is a problem solver
- Is organized and detailed
- Is passionate about their work and the topics we cover
Philadelphia magazine seeks a deputy-level editor to oversee lifestyle and service coverage for its print magazine. This is a full-time position, based in Philadelphia.
Reports To: Editor, Philadelphia magazine
Evaluated By: Editor, Philadelphia magazine
Our ideal candidate will have:
- An insider’s knowledge of Philadelphia’s thriving creative scene, or an eagerness to go out and learn about it
- 5-7 years writing and editing experience in service journalism, with the ability to switch back and forth as needed and seek out new voices
- Great taste, and a keen eye for visual storytelling in the print medium
- Strategies for translating print content to social media
- Experience and vision working with the art department to plan how a feature will look on the page.
- The ability to plan and execute complex and detail-oriented features while keeping on top of a monthly print schedule.
- A commitment to inclusive coverage
- Supervising, pitching, writing and editing lifestyle and service packages for the feature well. Topics include, but are not limited to, travel, fashion, and Best of Philly, our annual cover package dedicated to the best of the city.
- Overseeing Scout, our visually-driven, front-of-the-book section that covers a bit of everything lifestyle—shopping, real estate, interior design, wellness, beauty, travel, etc.—with lively, quippy copy, wry trend commentary, and beautiful photography. You’ll do a mix or reporting, assigning, and editing, with a focus on bringing new voices into the magazine, and work hand-in-hand with our award-winning art team to produce the section each month.
- Overseeing Navigator, our back-of-the-book section focused on food & drink, arts & entertainment, and things to do in Philly. You’ll edit a mix of in-house staffers and freelancers, and occasionally write pieces yourself, to fill the section.
As part of your cover letter, please describe three lifestyle or shopping trends you see in the region (fashion, beauty, travel, wellness or any of the other categories mentioned above) and provide three ideas for feature stories you’d want to assign as editor.
MARTH STEWART LIVING
Pitch and write news for Living and Weddings
Pitch and write stories—a mix of service-driven, inspirational, and ecommerce content—across all content verticals
Complete production work
Assist with administrative tasks
Interested candidates should send their resume as a PDF and cover letter in the body of an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Leave a comment