WIRED is Seeking an Experienced Editor To Work With Print and Digital Editorial Teams
The copy editor will work across all platforms, including print, online, and others. In addition to copyediting articles for grammar, usage, and style, tasks may also include editing and producing newsletters, social media copy, video captions, and other items.
Copy editors should have a good ear for language and be able to recast prose for clarity, concision, and voice, when necessary.
The successful applicant will be comfortable learning and using content management systems such as WordPress, Google Docs, and the Adobe suite of publishing tools. They will be able to work quickly and accurately under deadline pressure and have a familiarity with and enthusiasm for the content of WIRED.
The position is full-time and may require working some evenings and weekends, depending on the demands of the news cycle.
Pandemic permitting, the copy editor can work out of WIRED’s San Francisco office. If you live in the US outside the Bay Area, you can be based remotely, but San Francisco is preferred for this role.
- Copyedit articles and other items for grammar, usage, and style on deadline
- Edit with an ear for sensitivity, accuracy, inclusiveness, and consistency without losing tone or voice
- Write headlines and other display copy and assist with web production tasks
- Edit and track changes using Adobe applications (InCopy/InDesign)
- Mark up PDFs with notes and suggested edits
- Contribute to newsletter production and social-media promotion
- Edit internal memos and other items as needed
Skills and Qualifications:
- Three years’ experience editing copy for a digital newsroom
- An acute attention to detail
- Experience with InCopy, InDesign, and the k4 publishing system a strong plus
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially across all departments
- Familiarity with Chicago and Associated Press style guides
- A clear understanding of journalistic precepts
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Well organized and able to multitask in a very-fast-paced environment
Visit The Stylists Suite page For More Job Opportunities