Mic is currently seeking a remote, part-time writer for Life (its lifestyle section) available to work 14-28 hours each week during business hours.
Part-time writers for Life will create content that spans health + wellness, food, career and money, and travel. Coverage will include shorter news pieces as well as thoughtful op-ed-stye blogs and reported pieces. As a Lifestyle Writer, you will work with the Senior Lifestyle Editor to conceive and execute service-focused content through the lens of important issues Mic engages with, including identity, social justice, inclusivity, and sustainability.
The ideal candidate is a sharp and experienced writer who can pitch and turn stories over quickly and immaculately, and who is passionate about the intersection of health and identity, food and culture, as well as debunking destructive myths and dismantling oppressive systems with the truth. They are a small, supportive team who care about disseminating enlightening service content as well as telling stories that matter.
- Produce 1-3 stories per shift, depending on the type of story. Shifts are 4, 6, or 8 hours long and will dictate the story quota expected
- Interview sources, on-shift, for stories where it's necessary
- Pitch 3-4 original stories per week, and 2-3 news stories at the beginning of each shift
- Open communication through Slack through the duration of shifts
- Meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- 3-5 years of experience in writing and reporting
- Experience with service journalism
- A passion for loving, hating, and providing cultural commentary on millennial and Gen Z trends
- Strong communication skills (on Slack and email) that allow you to collaborate with team members on stories
- Creative and independent thinking; a deep understanding of what makes service journalism unique to Mic
- Experience in analyze data and studies is a plus
Visit The Stylist Suite Page For More Job Opportunities