SELF Seeking an Experienced Health Writer and Reporter
SELF is seeking an experienced health writer and reporter with a strong background in science-based health and wellness content to join the SELF team. This writer will be responsible for publishing roughly 4 articles per week. They’re looking for someone who is highly skilled in both service journalism and health reporting, as this person will be responsible for writing content that is both medically accurate and voicey.
This writer will produce the kind of health content that helps people live better—whether helping readers feel less alone or empowering them to make informed decisions about their health. The ideal candidate has a robust background in writing about complex health and wellness topics. You have strong scientific literacy and a deep understanding of what evidence and sourcing is necessary to accurately and fairly write about various health topics—from signs and symptoms condition content to nuanced service for people looking for the right therapist. You’re comfortable handling multiple stories at once, all in various stages of the writing process (planning the outline for one, scheduling interviews for another, reporting one, and writing another).
SELF produces science-backed, human-focused content audience can trust. When it comes to talking about health on the internet, they know that there can be a lot of scary, conflicting, or surface-level explanations for all those questions in a person’s search history. They’re not here to fearmonger, judge, or gloss over the facts. They’re here to inform, motivate, and maybe even entertain you. They do that by focusing on four key brand values: inclusivity, accuracy, empathy, and autonomy.
- Pitch and write about 4 health articles per week, focusing on both timely, trending stories and evergreen SEO health service content, totaling at least 15 stories per month.
- Brainstorm and write sponsored health content, supporting the health director and associate health director as needed.
- Brainstorm and write for larger SELF initiatives as needed.
- Rigorously fact-check and edit content before turning it in to the top editor.
- Occasionally participate in brand extension opportunities when available, such as appearing in social content, attending SELF events, or contributing research and writing to SELF videos and podcasts.
- Use analytics to hone your editorial strategy. If something isn’t working, you’ll try something new.
- At least 3–4 years of relevant writing and editing experience, specifically reporting on health topics that require a good amount of fact-checking
- A background in service journalism, ideally as it relates to health and wellness
- High scientific literacy and deep understanding of health reporting best practices
- Ability to write and edit clean copy in a fast-paced environment, ideally in a conversational, approachable tone that establishes a clear point of view
- Ability to pitch endless story ideas that are timely, shareable, thought-provoking, and as clicky as they are editorially sound
- Strong understanding of—and experience participating in—the digital health and science landscape
Visit The Stylists Suite Page For More Writing Opportunities