The Conde Nast Commerce team is looking for a Senior Commerce Editor to join SELF to help grow the brand’s e-commerce strategy. As senior commerce editor, you’ll be directing strategy, writing and editing commerce content, and leading a team of writers and editors. The ideal candidate will be passionate about shopping across every category, from sourcing the best deals on a tried-and-true wellness product to tracking new fitness and health launches that our readers will be excited about. They will have a strong background in product journalism and should be skilled at positioning a story to both attract an audience and drive purchase.
SELF's mission is to help people live healthier lives, whatever that looks like to them. SELF do that through focusing on four key brand values: inclusivity, accuracy, empathy, and autonomy. And looking for people who share that vision when it comes to creating content.
- Manage a team of 3 commerce writers and editors across multiple different categories, including fitness, health, beauty, wellness, sex, food, and lifestyle
- Drive a clear editorial point of view for product and shopping recommendations appealing to the SELF reader
- Synthesize data to make informed decisions, specifically in relation to key Commerce KPIs with view on revenue growth
- Serve as topline editor for complete lineup of commerce stories each week
- Create and manage a long-term commerce editorial calendar to feature ongoing and seasonal shopping content, including maintaining a clear and comprehensive tentpole strategy
- Assign and communicate stories to freelancers (writers and producers), in addition to managing a freelancer budget
- Apply SEO best practices to commerce-driven posts
- Identify and implement best practices across distribution platforms, including newsletter and social
- Identify categories that present commerce opportunities by studying purchasing data, tracking site analytics, performing a competitive analysis of comparable sites, and researching consumer trends
- Participate in editorial meetings and collaborate with vertical editors to develop commerce opportunities in each of our categories that fit the SELF brand voice and vision
- Serve as commerce evangelist for the SELF editorial team, supporting in research and optimization of all shoppable content
- Coordinate closely with the Commerce and Audience Development teams to share data and best practices that can inform editorial decision-making
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate must have a mix of product and shopping editorial expertise as well as strong enthusiasm for helping define the content-to-commerce strategy at SELF:
- 3+ years editing commerce content at a digital property, as well as refining commerce best practices
- A clear understanding of the affiliate industry and business model
- Solid knowledge of SEO tactics to attract a buying audience
- Experience analyzing performance across different verticals, product categories, retailers and content types to optimize for revenue generation
- Experience in managing product sourcing logistics at a digital property (either editorial or commerce)
- Strong organizational skills, a self-directed work style, and polished communication skills
- A self-starter who relishes the opportunity to directly accelerate the growth of Conde Nast’s commerce business
- An eye for cultural sensitivity and diversity when assigning, editing, and writing content
Note: If you do not check all of the following boxes but are enthusiastic about the position, please apply anyway; we are interested in candidates with any combination of skills in these areas. We strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
SELF is seeking an experienced wellness and lifestyle editor with a strong background in general wellness topics like beauty, food, dating/relationships, sex, travel, and more. This position will be responsible for publishing roughly 5 pieces of wellness service or topical reported content per week (a mix of writing and assigning/editing).
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in writing accurate, entertaining, and in-depth service and other reported content about a wide variety of wellness topics, from skin-care and self-care to sex and relationships. You have an appreciation for wellness trends but also a healthy skepticism toward fear-mongering or meaningless terms in wellness (think “clean” or “detox”). You have a solid understanding of scientific accuracy and an understanding of what evidence and sourcing is necessary to accurately and fairly write about various wellness topics (you don’t believe anything without seeing the sources). You’re committed to sensitivity and inclusivity, making sure to reflect a diverse range of readers in your wellness content. You’re comfortable handling multiple stories at once, all at various stages of the writing and editing process (planning the outline for one, scheduling interviews for another, reporting one, and assigning or editing another).
SELF is science-backed, human-focused, entertaining information you can trust. When it comes to talking about health on the internet, SELF know that there can be a lot of scary, conflicting, or surface-level explanations for all those questions in your search history. That’s why SELF is creating health and wellness content that’s accessible, deeply nuanced, science-literate, and genuinely helpful. SELF is not here to fearmonger, judge, or gloss over the facts. They’re here to inform you, entertain you, and maybe even motivate you. And they’re looking for people who share that mentality when it comes to creating wellness and lifestyle content.
- Pitch, write, and/or assign/edit about 5 health articles per week, focusing primarily on wellness service and topical features/essays.
- Maintain a robust network of diverse and experienced freelancers and sources and continually seek and discover new writers and sources as well.
- Rigorously fact-check and edit content before turning it in to the top editor and/or research team.
- Work with design, video, and social teams to brainstorm ideas for visuals and social promotion for these stories.
- Use analytics to hone your editorial strategy and experiment to learn what works and what doesn't.
- Create strategy recap reports for the team to understand your section’s vision.
- Contribute writing and brainstorming for larger SELF initiatives as the need arises.
- Contribute to social original content, when applicable and if interested (appearing in videos, Instagram Stories, etc.).
- Establish thought leadership internally and externally as opportunities arise.
- Participate in exciting brand extension opportunities when available.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least 3-4 years of relevant writing and editing experience
- A background in service journalism, ideally as it relates to health and wellness.
- Scientific literacy and deep understanding of health reporting and sourcing best practices
- Ability to write and edit clear, clean copy in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to pitch endless story ideas that are timely, shareable, thought-provoking, and as clicky as they are editorially sound
- Ability to transform pitches from writers and experts into an assignment that’s perfect for SELF
- Strong understanding of—and experience participating in—the digital health and wellness landscape
SELF is seeking an editorial assistant to serve as assistant to the Editor-in-Chief in addition to performing administrative duties and editorial assistance for the entire team. The ideal candidate will be extremely organized, proactive with excellent follow-through, and excited about health and wellness. You pride yourself on your organizational skills and are always looking for ways to help your team. You understand social media and are up for trying new things on new platforms. You are interested in wellness, whether it's beauty, fitness, nutrition, relationships, or health, and have an appreciation for wellness trends but also a healthy skepticism toward meaningless terms in wellness (think “clean” or “detox”).
- Provide administrative support to the Editor-in-Chief, such as:
- Managing calendar and schedule, including scheduling meetings and making judgement calls about prioritization
- Manage expenses and travel
- Taking notes in meetings
- Manage team OOO calendar
- Provide daily updates on production and ensure Airtable is kept up to date, sending reminders of deadlines to editors as needed
- Production responsibilities including building newsletters and articles in CMS
- Assist with brand outreach, product logistics, and organization for our awards franchises (including Healthy Beauty Awards, Sneaker Awards, and Activewear Awards) as well as other special projects and photo shoots
- Liaise with members of SELF's medical review board on behalf of Health Director and Digital Director
- Manage aspects of SELF's social media as well as EIC's
- Organize staff events
- Contribute to and write editorial content
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong knowledge and passion for SELF and its mission
- Strategic thinker
- Excellent communication, time management and interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail with ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Keen understanding of social media platforms
- Ability to be proactive to anticipate and solve logistical issues
What happens next?
If you are interested in these opportunities, please apply, and SELF will review your application as soon as possible. You can update your resume or upload a cover letter at any time by accessing your candidate profile.