The New Yorker is Looking For A Story Editor. Apply Now!
The New Yorker is Seeking a Talented Editor
The New Yorker is seeking a talented editor to oversee its online literary coverage and work on a wide range of pieces, including cultural commentary, reporting, and interviews, in print and on digital platforms. This is a guild position.
- Spearhead books coverage on newyorker.com, including reviews, ideas essays, and feature reporting.
- Assign and edit a mix of reporting, commentary, and criticism by staff and contributing writers, as well as other contributors.
- Generate ideas for stories, recurring features, and lines of coverage; exercise creativity and strong editorial judgment in assignments.
- Coordinate with editors working on books pieces for the print magazine, helping to program literary coverage across the institution.
- Maintain New Yorker standards at all times in editing for rigor, accuracy, and fairness.
- Work collaboratively with members of the staff, across all departments, to insure the publication of editorial content on schedule.
- Manage a stable of staff and contributing writers, including helping to insure those writers are meeting contracts and fulfilling other work expectations.
- Seek out new writers who might become regular contributors to The New Yorker.
- Additional duties as required, or as assigned by manager.
Skills and Requirements:
- At least three years of experience as a reporter/writer or editor.
- Deeply knowledgeable about books coverage and literary criticism; comfortable engaging with a wide range of subjects.
- Exceptional editorial judgment and line-editing skills; able to work collaboratively with some of the finest writers in journalism.
- A readiness to work in a fast-moving digital media ecosystem and to juggle multiple pieces and tasks.
- An enthusiastic reader of The New Yorker, familiar with the magazine’s distinctive style and approach.
- Willingness to work some weekends, evenings, early mornings, and holidays, according to the demands of the news cycle.
Visit The Stylists Suite Page For More Job Opportunities
WIRED is Seeking An Experienced Editor To Lead The Business Desk
Health Magazine Has A New Opening For Editor
The Wall Street Journal is Looking For Visual Storytelling Editor
Leave a comment