WIRED Has A New Opening For Senior Editor
You’ll manage a team of US-based writers and work closely with a UK counterpart to deliver impactful exclusives, thoughtful analysis, and timely news stories about the influence of platforms, the potential and pitfalls of AI, the future of work, and much more.
This is an opportunity to help shape WIRED’s business coverage at a critical moment. Regulators are finally circling Big Tech. The foundation of Web3 has already developed noticeable cracks. Cryptocurrency has gone fully mainstream. The future of work is unrecognizable from its very recent past. We’re looking for an editor with experience covering these or related areas, and a demonstrated ability to help reporters find the most compelling stories at the heart of each.
You should be driven by an endless curiosity about the potential of technology to tackle humanity’s biggest challenges and the economic, social, and political complexities around them. You should have a good eye for surprising angles on stories and a knack for spotting the wider significance of a new development; you should also be a sharp line editor, good at structuring an argument, cutting superfluous material, and eliminating jargon. You should be allergic to commodity news, making sure every story either leads the conversation or contributes meaningfully to it. You’ll need to be able to work autonomously while coordinating and collaborating with colleagues in San Francisco, New York, London, and points between.
Pandemic permitting, you can work out of WIRED’s offices in San Francisco or New York. If you live in the US outside those cities you can be based remotely, but San Francisco is preferred for this role.
- Work with the US Executive Editor, News to shape WIRED’s business coverage
- Assign, oversee, and edit stories from staff and freelance writers across the globe
- Work with other editors and writers to develop and fine-tune ambitious and original ideas
- Work closely with WIRED’s art, production, research, copy editing, and social teams
Skills and Qualifications:
- 5+ years of digital editorial experience, with a strong focus on business and/or technology coverage
- Experience managing a large group of internal and external writers
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially with a team of fact checkers, copy editors, designers, photo editors, digital producers, social media producers, and other story editors
- Facility with headlines, subheads, captions, and other elements of story building and promotion
- A clear, engaging, jargon-free writing and editing style
Visit The Stylists Suite Page For More Job Opportunities