SELF is Looking an Executive Editor Who Can Pitch, Assign, and Edit Health Content
SELF is seeking an Executive Editor who can pitch, assign, and edit the kind of health content that helps people live better—making our readers feel less alone and empowering them to make informed decisions about their health.
The ideal candidate has a robust background writing about complex, nuanced health and wellness topics. You can both assign, edit, and publish stories on tight timelines and also manage longer term projects and campaigns. You’ll have a strong scientific literacy and a deep understanding of what evidence and sourcing is necessary to accurately and fairly write about various health topics, and experience covering a wide range of health and wellness topics—from signs and symptoms content to nuanced service for people living with chronic health conditions. You’re comfortable overseeing multiple stories at once, all at various stages of the writing process.
This position reports to SELF’s Editor-in-Chief and will entail management responsibilities.
- Craft and implement editorial content strategy in collaboration with the Editor-in-Chief and Digital Director—SELF’s health and wellness content should excite and engage current loyal readers, capture new ones, and increase brand utility/accessibility
- Help define and hone the SELF brand voice
- Manage and mentor vertical directors and oversee the site’s overall content production, including timely content, SEO-driven content, and sponsored or branded campaigns
- Work with Editor-in-Chief and section editors to recruit a diverse pool of new freelance writers and columnists
- Assign and edit cover stories and other feature articles, and top edit daily editorial content as necessary
- Assign, edit, and manage production of robust editorial packages
- Use traffic data and social-media feedback to optimize performance and maintain consistent growth
- Consult on sponsored and branded content strategy in collaboration with Editor-in-Chief, Digital Director, and Health Director to support SELF’s business development
- Partner with other key departments including photo, video, commerce, social, PR, audience development, etc.
- Establish SELF as a daily destination for health and wellness news and service journalism
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 7 years’ experience editing accurate, inclusive, and high-impact lifestyle journalism in a fast-paced digital setting
- Experience overseeing content from brainstorm to publication — approving ideas, sourcing art, scheduling posts, promotion on newsletters and social, etc.
- High scientific literacy and deep understanding of health reporting and sourcing best practices
- Ability to edit complex, nuanced health topics that require a good amount of fact-checking, and to balance daily deadlines with longer-lead stories across platforms
- Knowledge of best practices when it comes to content that covers mental health; sex, sexuality, and gender; love, relationships, and friendships; substance use; and disability
- Ability to pitch story ideas that are timely, shareable, thought-provoking, and as enticing as they are editorially sound, and to transform pitches from writers and experts into an assignment that’s perfect for SELF
Visit The Stylists Suite Page For More Editorial Opportunities