The New Yorker Seeks An Assistant Editor To Join Puzzles & Games Dept.
This person will work closely with the other editors, and with constructors, to edit slate of crosswords and games. The assistant editor may also help to design and construct new puzzles and games, as offerings expand. The ideal candidate will have experience as an editor and/or copy editor. Experience editing crosswords, specifically, is welcome but not required. The assistant editor will also have strong teamwork and communication skills and a deep familiarity with The New Yorker and its offerings. This is a Guild position.
- Reviewing, editing, and test-solving crossword puzzles and games
- Working with constructors, editors, and the crossword producer to insure the timely production of crosswords and games that uphold New Yorker standards and style
- Collaborating with other teams at The New Yorker and Conde Nast on events and special projects, as needed
- Possibility of designing and constructing new puzzles and games, depending on time and qualifications
Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent writing skills and some editing or copy-editing experience
- Keen editorial judgment and an understanding of The New Yorker Crossword and its audience
- The ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple projects at once
- A collegial attitude and a desire to work as part of a small team
- An appreciation of The New Yorker’s sensibility and history