Michael Luo, Editor at The New Yorker Posted:
"Dream job alert! @newyorker is looking for a Culture Editor, who will help lead our cultural coverage across the Web site and print magazine. https://condenast.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/CondeCareers/job/1-World-Trade-Center-New-York-NY/Culture-Editor--The-New-Yorker_R-09471-1"
The New Yorker is seeking an energetic, visionary editor to help lead cultural coverage across the Web site and the print magazine. This is a new role that calls for a skillful editor who is attuned to a broad range of cultural pursuits and is especially thoughtful about digital strategy.
Please include a cover letter with your resume to be considered.
- In partnership with senior leadership of the magazine, create a unified vision for The New Yorker’s cultural coverage and how it is presented to readers online, including commentary and criticism, reporting, interviews, and recommendations.
- Oversee the magazine’s daily cultural report, insuring that there is a strong editorial mix and that the work is of the highest quality.
- Help generate ideas for stories, regular coverage, and critical essays.
- Keep abreast of developments in cultural life from film to books, television to theatre, and more.
- Be a strong, collaborative, and empathetic manager and editorial leader.
- Read widely to identify and recruit new writers of talent and diversity and help them thrive once they are here.
- Assign and edit a mix of reporting, commentary, and criticism by staff and contributing writers and other contributors.
- Lead a team of editors and assist with their career development.
Skills and Qualifications
- At least ten years of experience as a culture editor, reporter, or writer.
- A proven track record of leading teams of editors and writers.
- Ability to edit long-form reported features, as well as cultural criticism and commentary, essays, and personal histories, with speed, skill, and clarity.
- Relationships with a diverse network of writers.
- Deep familiarity with The New Yorker, its style, and its writers.
- Ability to respond quickly and decisively to cultural events and suggest original and interesting story ideas and angles of coverage.
- Strong diplomatic skills and ability to manage a variety of stakeholders.
- Willingness to work some early mornings, late nights, weekends, and holidays.
Visit The Stylists Suite Page For More Editorial Opportunities