The New Yorker Has New Opening For Social Media Engagement Editor
The New Yorker is seeking an editor to oversee reader-engagement strategies across social-media platforms. As part of the social-media team, the engagement editor works across the organization to amplify the New Yorker brand on social networks, and to deepen reader engagement with stories. Command of digital and social-media best practices, emerging platforms, and trends in interactive storytelling is required. Candidates must demonstrate appreciation for and understanding of the New Yorker audience, excellent organizational and communication skills, a passion for social media, and a deep interest in the stories and issues regularly covered by The New Yorker. This is a Guild position.
- Recommend, implement, and refine reader-engagement strategies for all social-media platforms.
- Work directly with writers, editors, cartoonists, and illustrators to coordinate and produce direct-engagement projects, such as live discussions, reader polls, and special social-first stories.
- Spearhead projects that solicit and highlight user submissions and user-generated content.
- Manage and develop best practices for community engagement and management on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and other platforms, engaging directly with readers when appropriate.
- Write, edit, and post content from the magazine, Web site, events, and brand extensions (e.g. “The New Yorker Radio Hour”) across platforms.
- Communicate reader insights and trends to the social-media, audience-development, edit, and product teams.
- Pitch, coordinate, and produce live coverage pegged to biggest stories and events, such as The New Yorker Festival, and around major news events, such as elections.
- Collaborate with the audience-development, data-analytics, and newsletter teams to maximize stories’ reach and insure that the brand is meeting site-wide growth goals.
- Insure that The New Yorker is an early innovator on emerging platforms and abreast of the latest social-media trends.
- Advise New Yorker writers and editors on social strategies and ways to increase their individual social presence.
- Additional duties as required, or as assigned by the manager.
Skills and Qualifications:
- At least five years of experience in a social-media and journalism role.
- A demonstrated ability to create engaging social-media content across a range of topics and for a variety of audiences.
- Knowledge of graphics and editing software, including familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite - Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and Premiere, in particular.
- Basic video-editing skills and familiarity with video production processes and tools.
- Deep understanding of the media landscape and a strong news sense.
- Familiarity with and interest in the history, style, and voice of The New Yorker.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Meticulous attention to detail and strong organizational and communication skills.
- Willingness to work some early mornings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
Visit The Stylists Suite Page For More Editorial Opportunities