Tom’s Guide is Looking to Greatly Expand its News Coverage and Seeking For Editor in Chief of News to Oversee This New Initiative
You will manage the day-to-day news assignments, coordinating with both staff writers as well as freelance news writers to ensure that we have a strong mix of compelling articles covering our key channels, which include everything from the latest mobile phone rumors and streaming entertainment options to workout advice. In addition, you will work with the News Editor to make sure that we have a compelling lineup of weekend news stories.
You will combine an instinctive market knowledge as well as a first-class SEO pedigree and expertise in terms of what works well in social channels. In addition to maintaining current quality levels and improving existing content, you’ll also be required to develop new coverage plans to keep the brand proposition fresh and audience engagement strong over the weekend.
Key role responsibilities
- Working closely with senior editors, you’ll be responsible for commissioning, editing and scheduling stories that run throughout the week and on Saturday and Sunday..
- Solicit ideas from channel editors and work with freelance contributors to keep our schedule packed with relevant, engaging stories.
- Cultivate relationships with various tech companies, analysts, and other stories to break news stories on Tom’s Guide.
- Once stories go live, you’ll help promote them with back-linking from current articles, posts to our social channels and updates to our buying guides where relevant.
- You’ll be expected to track which stories perform well to inform future assignments, sharing that information with channel editors.
- A strong understanding of technology news content and our key product categories
- First-rate SEO knowledge
- At least 5 years of editorial experience required
- Must have an interest in and knowledge of consumer tech and the other subjects Tom’s Guide covers
- Focused approach to delivery. You’ll be totally on top of the numbers and see the early trends before anyone else.
- Exceptional editing skills which come from a clear understanding of what makes a good news article or Op-Ed.
- You’ll have a passion for the data side of web editing and closely monitor and interpret performance and trends
- Proven ability to write high-quality engaging, relevant content
- Experience working with social media is a plus
- Numerate and analytical
- Ability to work as part of a wider team
- Excellent communication skills
What will I get in return?
As well as the standard benefits, they have a number of awesome perks available to staff including:
- Unlimited paid time off (yes you read that right!)
- A share in our success - every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
- Free food (monthly munchies, bagel Fridays, fresh fruit & snacks and coffee and tea on tap)
- Central office locations with cool open plan working spaces
- Free digital magazine subscriptions and access to back copies of our print magazines and bookazines
- Discounted gym membership and onsite health & wellbeing (yoga at lunch anyone?!)
- Annual Future conference - get together with your colleagues to celebrate success and look forward to what's next
- Regular staff socials arranged by our wonderful Employee Community & Culture committees
- Huge opportunities to learn and develop whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues
Visit The Stylists Suite For More Job Opportunities